4.23.2008

Relay!

About nineteen months ago I was diagnosed with brain cancer. I knew what the disease could do...I watched my father fade away to cancer when he was 35 years old. I wasn't quite sure what to do after hearing that my tumor was not a grade 1 or 2, but 3 which meant cancerous. I did know that I did not want my journey to end as his did. I decided to have a positive attitude and know that I would survive. When I started to research I found the American Cancer Society's Cancer Survivor Network. This site was exactly what I was needing at the time. I felt so alone, I felt like no one understood what I was going through. The Cancer Survivor Network allowed me to enter my gender, age, and cancer type and in seconds I was no longer alone. I was able to read other's stories, leave messages for other survivors and even chat. Shortly after learning of the Cancer Survivors Network I got an invitation in the mail to go to a team captain meeting for Relay For Life. I had always wanted to participate for my father but now I had another reason. I wanted to give hope to others and share my story. Well, needless to say...it wasn't a team captain meeting I attended, it ended up being a committee meeting and it seems like history from there. Last year I was the Team Recruitment Chair and this year I have stepped up and taken over the role as Event Chair.

I have learned so much through this experience. First, cancer doesn't discriminate. It chooses male, female, young, old, poor and rich. If I can have cancer anyone can. I was always the healthy child among a family where doctors were part of our weekly routine, but not for me. I could count on my two hands how many times I had been to the doctor. Second, how grateful people still are for those who are making strides to find a cure. I always thought there would never be a cure for cancer...they are all crazy. But NO, there will be a cure. I am so grateful for those who spend countless hours of researching and educating. Third, I have learned how to work in a team to accomplish what seems to be the unaccomplishable at times. I have put so much energy into Relay For Life from tears, anger, frustration to joy, laughter, and a feeling of accomplishment. I have truly enjoyed this experience.

I ask one thing of you. If you would like to join me in finding a cure you can donate to the American Cancer Society through my Relay For Life website. Every dollar raised is one dollar closer to finding the cure...that they WILL find. Follow the link below to become a part of finding the cure that can save many deserving lives...

Angie's Relay For Life Page

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I am a girl simply living the life God has put before me. As we both know it has had its ups and downs. But, He is using me in ways that I cannot imagine.