Today was a big day!
First, I had my 6 month follow-up MRI and doctor's appointment. Besides being dehydrated and them having to poke me several times to get the IV with contrast in it went very well. My doctor said my scans continue to come back remarkably stable...remember 6 months ago he said that my scans cannot come back better than what they are. Which means...I now have to go back once every twelve months!!
Second, I was interviewed yesterday by Fox 4. David Cook as many of you know went to Central when I was there and we have also learned that his brother Adam has brain cancer. Fox 4 had contacted the ACS and the ACS gave them my information. I was pretty excited to do the interview. It was on at 5 p.m. If you go to the Fox 4 Health site you can view a video, below is the article:
Brain Cancer Survivor: Cook's Stardom Serves Higher Purpose
Kansas City News
A young Warrensburg woman went to the University of Central Missouri when American Idol star David Cook was also there and they have mutual friends.
But she has another reason to be amazed by Cook's success.
Angie Rhoads, manager of a Lone Jack fireworks store, saw Cook with his band Axium on Pine Street in Warrensburg.
"I liked the sound and they were great performers," Cook said.
But that isn't the only reason Rhoads has been struck by Cook's climb.
"I would think it would be so hard for him to be up there knowing that he couldn't be with his brother all the time," Rhoads said.
Cook's brother Adam is battling brain cancer that's spread to his spine and that's something Rhoads knows all about. Her dad died of brain cancer when she was just 7. Now Rhoads lives with it.
Rhoads was diagnosed with Oligodendroglioma 20 months ago, a rare brain cancer that's more common in men over 40.
After surgery, she chose not to have chemotherapy or radiation and instead turned to alternative treatment. Whether it was that or surgery alone, Rhoads has no signs of the cancer now.
"The doctor said your scans can't come back any better than what they are. So I'm really excited and I feel very fortunate," she said.
If only, she said, it were the same for Adam Cook. She thinks maybe there's a deeper purpose in Cook's rise to fame.
"Maybe it'll bring more awareness to brain cancer in young adults because it happens to everyone," she said. "Cancer doesn't discriminate, young, old, rich, poor, it can get anyone."
Meryl Lin McKean, FOX 4 News
Third, I got "tatted up" 5 years ago today in memory of my mom and dad...this may be news to some of you. But, I am proud to have this symbol of our memories with me all of the time and for the rest of my life.
Today wasn't a good day...it was a GREAT day!

3 comments:
Wow, wonderful Angie! Thanks for sharing the continual good news.
Jon
Yeah!!!!!!! That is so wonderful to hear!!!!! We love you and thank God for the work He is doing and through you!
Totally awesome! You rock! Thanks for being a vessel of good news!
Post a Comment